Thursday, June 23, 2011

Resting in Creation

I read this on RevGalBlogPals:

The verse I find most interesting immediately precedes the one I quoted above: And on the seventh day God finished the work that God had done, and God rested on the seventh day from all the work that God had done.

The seventh day, the day of rest, was the day on which God finished the work of creation. You’d think it would’ve been finished on the sixth day, making it okay to take a day off. But the resting is apparently part of the creative process.
The emphasis in the above quote is mine.  Have you ever thought of that?  Have you ever experienced that?  Do you believe that resting is part of the creative process?

I have.

When I'm working on a sermon idea, sometimes the best thing to do is to leave it, and come back later.  There is sometimes creation in the rest.  When I'm creating a brochure at work, and I think I'm finished, I'll leave it.  When I come back, I can see what needs to be done in order to really be finished.  When I'm concentrating on a project at work or at home, there are times when I need to stop, to rest, to take a break.  When I get back, the work goes much more efficiently and effectively.

Rest is creative.  Giving the mind and body a break is part of our rhythm of creation -- it's how we were created.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home