Sunday, June 12, 2011

Courage

Jean asked in Sunday School today if we consider courage to be one of the first characteristics we think of when we think of what it means to be Christian. I think she was expecting a negative response. I imagine she thought the more common answers would be kindness, love, care, sympathy, helpfulness and forgiveness.

My thought was that the more radical our Christian faith is, the more courage will be necessary. I liked the quote Jean brought to us:

Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at the testing point. (CS Lewis)

Think about it. At its most radical point, kindness requires courage. At its most extreme, love requires courage. When the hurt is deepest, forgiveness requires courage.

I think courage is definitely a Christian virtue


Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home