Wednesday, June 01, 2011

Reminder of Grace

I read this in the comments section of Lectionary Leanings this weekend. It refers to last week's John passage:

I'll try again: Thank you for the invitation to preach something other than John who is wearing me out with all of the love. Of course, this might actually be the point. Unrelenting love.

I preached this past weekend, and I used the Gospel passage as the scriptural basis of the sermon -- entitled "If you love me..." I wonder sometimes, as the commenter did, if my sermons are too centered around grace and love -- if my themes are too trite and simple.

In the sermon for the past weekend, I talked about the Holy Spirit, and how he comes to our side in times of trouble and testing (as well as all the other times). God's gift of the spirit is an example of his active love for us.

After the sermon, a woman came up to me practically in tears. She had a speech problem, so I couldn't understand everything she was saying, but I think she was going that afternoon to visit a friend who had cancer. I think the idea that God is with her, and with her friend, no matter what, was just the reminder she needed.

So, if the reminder of grace was necessary for even just that one person, then I thank God.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home