Monday, January 31, 2011

Amazing love

This morning, I was watching the program Stargate SG-1.  Just in case you've never seen the movie or television shows in the Stargate series, I'll explain that the program is built around the idea that an ancient civilization built "stargates" across the universe.  The gates create wormholes that allow travel between great distances -- from one gate to another.

The episode I was watching this morning was the pilot of the series.  As the characters finished their travel through the wormhole, they felt its many effects -- chills, nausea, and general ill effects.  This weekend I watched the final episode of the series Stargate Atlantis -- many years past the pilot of the first show.  When these characters stepped through a wormhole it was as if they were walking through a doorway.  The travel was accomplished as if it were nothing at all, with no ill effects.

I had a teacher in high school who told us that eventually we wouldn't even notice when a space shuttle was launched because the event would be so common place. 

When we become used to something, it looses its ability to amaze us.  It becomes commonplace.

During our office devotional this morning, JtM read the following words from the hymn And Can it Be That I Would Gain by Charles Wesley:

And can it be that I should gain
An interest in the Savior’s blood?
Died He for me, who caused His pain—
For me, who Him to death pursued?
Amazing love! How can it be,
That Thou, my God, shouldst die for me?
Amazing love! How can it be,
That Thou, my God, shouldst die for me?
We hear it so often.  We are so often reminded that Christ died for us that I wonder if it becomes common knowledge. 

Consider it and its amazing truth for just one moment -- Amazing love, how can it be, that my God would die for me?

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home