Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Knit Together

I like Psalm 139. The image that particularly appeals to me is this:

For it was you who formed my inward parts; you knit me together in my mother’s womb. I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made.
Maybe I like it because it appeals to both the biologist and the knitter in me. We are wonderfully created, knit together, by our God.

I was reading this blog article today, though, and a new aspect of that "knitting together" was pointed out to me. (Written by a Lutheran pastor, named Diane Roth).

I encourage you to go read the article, and I'll quote the end here:
We are being knit together by love and anticipation, by joy and by grieving. We are being knit together as we anticipate the reign of God and live now in this reality. We are being knit together, and sometimes this causes us unbelievable joy, and sometimes almost unbearable sorrow.
Of course, I know that we are knit together, but this article brought it into focus for me today. We are the Body of Christ, and we are knit together, wonderfully and fearfully made. That construction, as a body, can bring us great joy, or great grief, because we share the experiences of the others in the Body.

We care for each other, and we take care of each other. We are fearfully and wonderfully made, knit together by God.

Image: Each prayer shawl I knit has a cross attached. This is one of them.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home