Thursday, April 01, 2010

Watermark

The sermon this evening at Maundy Thursday was based on John 13. Christ tells them that he leaves them with a new commandment:
I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. John 13:34
Jack said that the watermark of a Christian is love. We are to love one another. He said it wasn't love like the golden rule -- do unto others as you would have them do unto you. He thought there might be something self-centered in that kind of love. What I need, and how I would want others to treat me, may not be at all what you need. To treat you as I want to be treated isn't the same as what Jesus was calling for.

How would Jesus love you? That is how I am called to love you. It's radical, it's not at all self-centered. It's the watermark of a Christian.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous JtM said...

I don't recall hearing watermark used that way. Do you think he meant the same as "hallmark?"

9:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home