Saturday, December 26, 2009

Do what you are doing

A couple of weeks ago I was preparing a sermon. One of the lectionary readings (that I did not use) was from Luke 3:7-18. In it, John the Baptist is speaking to the crowds, telling them what is to come (preparing the way), and they ask him, "What then should we do." So he tells them. His instructions are tailor made for each who asks -- the soldier, the tax collectors.

Last week, reading Disciplines, I ran across a latin phrase, "Age quod agis." It translates as "Do what you are doing." The writer of the devotional said he was told that if we do this, if we live each part of our lives, doing what we are doing for Christ, then our entire lives become a prayer.

No matter what our vocation, no matter what we are called to do, if we do it for Christ, then we are "doing what we are doing."

Image: Shawl I knit, draped across the clock my grandfather made.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home