Friday, December 18, 2009

Applause

Does it seem like I've been building up to a point in the last few posts? Are you wondering if I even have a point at all? I've been slowly, methodically working my way to a point. I promise.

In the previous posts, I've tried to explain my views about worship: (1) It is worship because of our intention, and because it is acceptable to God as such, (2) The elements of worship are sacred because God transforms them -- even when in our eyes they might have at one time been secular. Everything is secular until God transforms it, and (3) God calls us to bring input to worship; we are to be participants.

All of these posts have been written to work my way into a discussion concerning applause. Does applause have a place in worship? I believe that it does. I've heard (and listened to, and thought about) all of the reasons why you might disagree with me.

Everything is secular. Singing, speaking, praying -- all of it is secular. Until God changes it. There is nothing inherently sacred about any of it -- or inherently secular. If music can be offered as worship, then so can applause. When God calls me to this response; when it is the gift I bring with me to worship; when it is part of my participation in the service, then it becomes sacred. It is, in fact, no less sacred than the organ or the laughter during a sermon or the singing of a hymn.
When I applaud during worship, I know God is calling me to this response. It is offered as:

  • Affirmation -- It is not easy to bring your gifts and to share them with a congregation, to lead us in worship, or to offer your gifts to God. My response -- whether it is an Amen, a time of stunned silence, or clapping -- are all offered as affirmation. It says, "You are doing well -- you are being brave and wonderful and are answering God's call. Don't stop."
  • Love -- Applause can be offered as a sign of love -- agape love. It doesn't imply that the worship offered is excellent or above average or without mistake. It says, "I love you." When a middle school choir stands in front of 150 people and sings, I love them. They are worthy of praise, just for the act of their giving. And God calls me to the response.
  • Praise of God -- Sometimes my applause is meant for God's ears. Sometimes it says, "Thank you, God, for the wonder of what you have done through this person. Through your action, I have come to know you better. Amen."
My applause does not decrease the worship-fulness of the service. In fact, it is of as much value as worship as other aspects of the service because it is offered in response to a call from God, and it is offered with the intention of being worship.

I know there are times when it is not an appropriate response. I know that there are times when my silence is more appreciated than my noisy offering. God knows that, too. I believe and trust that he will lead me to what is right and good.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger bob said...

It's been a good week with your focus in worship. Saving the most contensious for last applause. We have some who frown on applause in our church. They seem to think if it isn't all solemn and reverential that it isn't worship.

5:14 AM  
Blogger Jane said...

thanks for this - it helped me better understand the applause during worship service.

9:03 AM  
Blogger daniel said...

This is a very interesting post, and the comments are also fantastic to read. I’ll have to have a little re-think about my own contact form on our new website, as this poses some interesting questions!



Part Time Job

6:31 AM  
Blogger david.softech said...

I think it would be really bad for Google if they ranked tweets. Would be a major blow to everything search. What relevance or anything for that matter can a 40 character limit sentence have for anything. I think if Google started ranking tweets their business would be vulnerable to competition…..


online work

6:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home