Saturday, December 12, 2009

Joy to the World

The following is the end of a sermon I am delivering tomorrow.

Joy to the world
The Lord has come.

Now what do we do? What is our response to joy such as this? How will our lives be changed?

I think the answers to those questions are in the Philippians passage (4:4-7).

“Do not worry about anything.” That’s easier said than done, but we are called to set aside fear and worry and to live as confidence children of God. Zephaniah says that God is in our midst and that he will rejoice over us with gladness, he will renew us with his love and will exult over us with loud singing. Think back to the image I told you about – my son sleeping on his father. We are called to that kind of confidence and trust in God. He has promised us his presence, and he will not disappoint us. “Do not worry about anything.” Those words were written by Paul when he was in prison, waiting to die.

Joy to the World.
The Lord has come.

Paul tells the church at Philippi to bring everything to God in prayer and thanksgiving. We are called to do the same. I am currently part of a bible study class at my church. It involves a lot of reading. As I sit down each day to read, I start my time with God by listing the things for which I am grateful for that day. I always have a list. And then I pray. And THEN I read. Bring God thanksgiving and praise, and then reaching toward him in prayer opens my eyes and heart to his presence. I have no doubt that he is here. Sometimes I don’t notice him, but if I remember to pray; if I remember to be grateful, then I will see him. And I can say,

Joy to the World
The Lord has come.

Paul also says, “let your gentleness be known to everyone.” What does gentleness or kindness have to do with joy? Everything, I think. It is in sharing God’s love that we receive it. It is in shining brightly with Christ’s presence that we are completely convinced that he is with us. I read yesterday that joy is peace in action. I think that may be the real reason we give Christmas gifts – to demonstrate our love to those around us. We know joy when we give of ourselves and when we allow others to see God shining through our lives. When we do this, we can sing together

Joy to the World
The Lord has come.

And then, the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

We will know joy
We will know the love of God.
We will be able to declare that the Lord has come.

The hymn written by Isaac Watts, Joy to the Lord, was based on Psalm 98. I’ll close with verses 7 through the first part of 9:

Let the sea roar, and all that fills it;
The world and those who live in it.
Let the floods clap their hands;
Let the hills sing together for joy
At the presence of the Lord.

Joy to the World
The Lord has come. Amen

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home