Sunday, November 01, 2009

I'll Fly Away

But those who hope in the LORD
will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
they will run and not grow weary,
they will walk and not be faint.
All Saints Day.
Names, read in solemn, exact tones.
Family and friends, carrying candles,
Flames of remembrance,
carried to the altar,
brought close to the Holy seat of God,
in remembrance.
The church remembers
the ones who have gone before.
Whose fire of devotion has lighted the way,
like the candle.
Their names ring in our minds,
sung by God.
In this life, they were freed for joyful obedience.
As life continues, they are freed from illness and pain.
Flying on the wings of eagles,
Closer to God than they have ever been before.
As we mourn their loss,
we remember their God.
Our God.
And we pick up their faith,
singing of our God-given certainty of eternal life.
He has said it.
We will believe it.
We will proclaim it.
And we will order our steps
so that others will know
that it makes a difference.
Some bright morning when this life is over
I'll fly away
To that home on God's celestial shore
I'll fly away
I'll fly away oh glory
I'll fly away (in the morning)
When I die hallelujah by and by
I'll fly away**
*Isaiah 40:31
** I'll Fly Away by Albert Brumley
Image: Leaves on Court House block

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home