Monday, October 26, 2009

Axis Mundi

Today my readings for Disciple were from Exodus 24-27 which includes the instructions for the building of the tabernacle.

I was intrigued by my the note in my Bible regarding the function of the tabernacle. It called the tabernacle axis mundi, meaning the central point of creation where heaven and earth link. Wow. It was also described as the place where the Lord can descend to the earth.

We no longer have a tabernacle with an ark -- perhaps it is because we no longer need one. Christ became the axis mundi -- the place where the Lord can descend to the earth. He is the central point of creation where heaven and earth link. Because of that, and because of God's presence in our lives through the Holy Spirit, we are linked to heaven.

We can meet with God. We can come to discern his will. When we pay attention, we will know that we are in the presence of God.

On the Emmaus Walk I just returned from, there was a communion service at the end of which the song Amazing Grace was sung -- it was the version that includes the added lyrics: My chains are gone; I've been set free. As the song started, one pilgrim stood, then another, then another, until the whole group was standing, some with hands raised. God's song drifted across them -- Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound.

I was convinced at that moment of the reason I serve on Emmaus teams. Surely the presence of the Lord was in that place -- axis mundi.

(Excuse my misuse of Latin, please. I was just intrigued by the concept.)

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home