Thursday, September 24, 2009

Job or not?

The book of Job has always been a challenge for me. Over the last few years, I have come to appreciate it much more, but there are still parts of it that "bother" me.

Today, as part of my Disciple reading, I read Job 38-39, part of 40 and chapter 41. These are the great passages that are God speaking, telling Job (or maybe not Job) that he is God. God.

Chapters 38 and 39 come right after one of Job's "friends," Elihu, has a speech. I have always assumed that in Chapters 38 and 39, God is speaking to Job. What if, though, in 38 and 39, God is speaking to Job's friends, including Elihu? What would that do to the conversation?

At the end of Job, God makes it clear that Job has done nothing wrong, and yet the tone of these two chapters is one of anger. God arrives in a whirlwind. This word in Hebrew, according to what I read, is most often associated with God's wrath. Why would God express anger when he later makes it clear that Job did nothing wrong?

It makes sense to me that God is speaking to Elihu and his friends. He isn't pleased with these friends at all.

Job is asking questions. Job doesn't understand what is going on. His friends, on the other hand, are almost taking the role of expressing God's judgment. Are they stepping into God's role? Doesn't it make more sense that God would be angry with one who was trying to assume his place rather than someone who was questioning him in order to understand him better?

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home