Thursday, August 06, 2009

Examples

My church does a weekly devotional ministry, and I am blessed to coordinate it. Maybe I mentioned it before?

Anyway, this week's devotional came arrived in my email for me to "dress up and send out." We email it to over 200 people each week. I also post it on a blog, so go and read it (that's a link). They are all good, but this one touched me.

I send out cards. Not as regularly as I should, and not as often as I should, but I try to send them out when God is hinting that I do so. I buy cards for no reason, and then find, maybe even months later, that I have the perfect card for whoever God has hinted that I send one to. Think he's involved in that?

Anyway, after reading Jeff's devotional, which is about (you should really go read it) following the example of the saints who come before us, I realized one of the reasons that I send cards. I send cards because my mother-in-law always did.

If you met Judy, and if she could find out your birthday, she would send you a card. Year after year. She even sent out Halloween cards. One year, our dog got a Halloween card from her dog. She bought cards. Tons of cards. In fact, when Steve's dad sends us a card, it's probably from Judy's stash.

Judy has Alzheimers disease, which is progressing to the point of death. We don't know how long we'll have her with us, but we think not much longer.

I send cards because God prompts me to. I send cards because I know what it is to receive love through the mail, because of Judy. I'm grateful to know that, and to have that bit of Judy to carry around with me.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger bob said...

What greater sign of love and respect than to emulate someone. Maybe that's why the what would Jesus do craze caught on. People trying to visible emulate the One most deserving of our love and respect

6:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home