Monday, July 27, 2009

Perfect Shells?

I've collected shells at the beach before; probably everyone who has walked on a beach has taken home memories in the shape of shells. In past years, I've collected ones that looked perfect -- whole and complete. I remember picking up what I thought was an interesting shell and then putting it back on the sand with regret, because it was broken.

This year, I changed what I did. I collected shells that were caught my eye because of shape or color. I didn't return any that were broken -- and almost all of them were.

So, for instance, in the image to the left, the circular pattern of the shell, which caught my attention, is only the top of a spiral shell -- the rest is missing.

As I was collecting the shells, I was thinking of it as a reminder of imperfection. God doesn't require us to be whole, complete, perfect. He loves us for our interesting colors and shape, and keeps us, regardless, or in spite of, or maybe because of our brokenness.

The shells are in a glass jar in my office as a reminder.

God goes a step beyond what I can do with seashells. He loves us into wholeness, so maybe the shells will remind me of that, too.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home