Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Intervention

I was reading a blog post on Enter the Rainbow about Faith and Doubt.

Consider the situation of a person who is ill who prays for healing. If the person is healed, he give praise to God. Faith. If he is not healed, what happens? Is there doubt?

To me this is a nagging question. On 9/11, when there were some who survived, there were comments that people were saved because God had a purpose for their lives. He didn't have a purpose for the ones who died? That doesn't make sense to me.

I think we have to be careful with what we say.

I believe in miracles, but I think the dramatic kind are much more rare than we think they are. I think God is active in our lives more than we think, but the big things -- perhaps less often in the dramatic way we envision. More than that, though, I think we have to be very careful assuming that we understand the motivation of God, and sometimes we need to accept that the laws of nature are at work, without divine intervention.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger bob said...

I've wrestled with this as well and when I pray I try to leave matters in God's hands because after all He knows better than me what's the best outcome.

5:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home