Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Confusion

I was reading SpinBeat this evening -- Laura Allen's blog. She was writing about the music of Ben Sollee. In discussing his lyrics, she made this comment:

By the end of the song, you get the idea: God is tired and needs our help to figure things out. It’s ironic and somehow comforting to think that humanity, the very thing God created, can confuse him/her.
I imagine that there are those who would baulk at the idea that God is ever confused. And I admit that it might be a stretch.

I do believe that we are created in the image of God -- that everything good about us is from him. I believe that our joy, our laughter, our tears of mourning, our righteous anger, the way we love, the way we support each other -- all of it is in the image of God.

I believe that sometimes it is good to be confused. It know it's rarely a pleasurable state, but it implies that we are dealing with the complicated, with the things of the world that stretch our ability and cause us to grow. I believe that sometimes confusion results when we work hard at our relationships, with trying to understand the people we love.

If confusion can be good, and if all good things come from God, and if the good in us is created in the image of God, could it be that God could at times be confused? Is it confusing to be in relationship with those he has created? I just image that there are times when he walks with us as he shakes his head, wondering why we make the choices we do, why we ignore his love for us, why we are self-destructive and hateful.

I think we would be confusing, even to the one who created us.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger bob said...

Confused has a conotation of addled or lost I would prefer conflicted.

4:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home