Monday, June 22, 2009

Verbs and Questions

The Friday Five last week is from a book entitled "Life is a Verb." In honor of Steve, who says that the word Christian should be a verb, and teaches all to "be a verb," I'm going to use these Friday Five questions for the post today:

  1. What awakens you to the present moment? When I went on my Emmaus walk, on the first evening, as I lay in bed, thinking about the walk (and not sleeping -- I didn't sleep at all that first night), I decided that in order to fully participate in what was happening, I needed to ensure that I focused on whatever was in front of me. All through the weekend, as I would find my mind wandering, or thinking about what might be happening next, or daydreaming, I would say to myself "Focus." I still use that word today to awaken myself to the moment --especially in worship or prayer. Focus.
  2. What are 5 things you see out your window right now? Nothing. It's midnight, but if it were daytime, and I were at work -- the post office, a busy street, a parking lot, hillside in the distance (across the river that can't be seen), downtown buildings
  3. Which verbs describe your experience of God? God participates, surprises, comforts, jokes, guides, silences, admonishes, loves and calms me.
  4. From the book on p. 197: Who were you when you were 13? Where did that kid go? I was in Junior High school. I was smart and dorky and shy. I had friends but wasn't one of the "popular" ones. Thank God that girl grew up. I would never want to be 13 again. I still have friends, am smart and probably dorky, but hopefully not shy. The 13 year old girl was OK, but I like who I am now much better.
  5. From the book on p. 88: If your work were the answer to a question, what would the question be? Where is God calling me to be in ministry? (It's not the only place, but it's a big part of it right now.)
Image: The view out of my office window, back in February. I think I was interested in trying to capture the look in the falling snow. No luck, but that's the post office across the street.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home