Sunday, May 03, 2009

Green Pastures

We were on retreat this past weekend with our youth group. The program for the weekend focused on Psalm 23. I don't know about the youth, but I certainly learned more about Psalm 23 than I ever known before.

He makes me lie down in green pastures.

Sheep won't lie in down unless four needs are met -- freedom from fear, freedom from hunger, freedom from aggravation and freedom from tension.

Can we think of green pastures as a metaphor for peace? What is your green pasture? We asked the youth that question; their answers were very interesting. One young man said that his green pasture was a beach in Hawaii. When I asked him why, his answer almost matched the needs of sheep! He was safe, he had no worries about his normal routine...

We have a need for peace, and yet we can't find it unless we feel that our needs are met. God will take us to that place of peace when we trust him; when we release our worries to the assurance that he will provide for our needs.

The Lord is my Shepherd; I shall not want.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home