Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Good News

I was at our District Conference this Sunday. The last time I attended a District Conference was two years ago -- last year I think I was at a youth event.

As I type this post, thinking about the Conference, I realize that this year it was different. This year as I looked around the room, there were many more people that I knew, or knew of. It's from working where I do, and it's a nice by-product.

Before we left, I stopped to speak to a part-time local pastor that I've known for a few years. I originally met him when we both attended a basic lay-speaking class in -- what? -- 2006? At that time, he was a lay leader like me, but I think even then he was exploring a calling to ministry that God had placed on him.

Now he is pastor at a church in our district. Last fall, Steve and I went his church to hear JtM preach at a revival. As we were leaving, we stopped to look at a photograph on the wall near the church's door. Someone saw us looking and started talking to us. This started a chain reaction, and every person in that church stopped to say hello. It was one of the most friendly churches I have visited.

So (and I'm rambling from my story), I stopped on Sunday and spoke with this pastor. He's doing well at the church, and finding the joy in his calling. His wife, who I met at his church, said, "Tell her the good news!"

"I baptized 8 people this morning, and we'll have 4 more this evening."

It was good news. It is wonderful news. Do we celebrate it, or do we take it for granted? Do we remember that this is God's claim on someone -- visible to all of the community? We should call it GOOD NEWS! It's wonderful, and I'm so happy for him and for his church, and for our Church, to be welcoming 12 new members on one day.

Good news!

Image: Bishop Lyght at District Conference (First UMC, Huntington)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home