Thursday, April 30, 2009

Anointed

This was meant to be a re-telling of this week's lectionary Psalm -- Psalm 23. As I wrote it, I kept hearing the passage concerning love in I Corinthians 13, so you may find echoes of that scripture as well. This was written as a devotional for our church's devotional ministry.

Oh, Lord, my God.
You care for me as if I am your own.
You fret over me.
You search for me when I am lost.
You never give up.
You love me.
In you, I can find everything I need.
In you, I am complete.

If I will just but breathe,
You will take me to lush, green fields,
Still waters.
You will take me to peace.
You will transform and renew my spirit with you own.
If I will just but listen and follow
You will lead me on right paths.
You will direct my journey
So that I am with you.
Always.

Even when I stumble.
Even when I walk in darkness
Even when the world around me seems too heavy to bear
Even when I feel alone
You are with me.
You lay your hand upon my heart
I am comforted.
You never fail, and
I am loved.

I am prone to fear
But in you, I have no fear.
In you, I am free of my sins
For you do not keep a record of my wrongs.
Your persevering presence is my strength.
Your love and your touch
Calm my soul.

You walk before me
You prepare the way for me
Even when I feel as if enemies surround me
Even when I cannot find a friend
You are my hope.

I am covered
Anointed with your grace.
It flows over me with abundance
Never ending.
My life is so full of blessings
That my heart cannot hold it.
My life overflows with grace.
You give me faith.
You give me hope.
You give me love.
And my life cannot contain it.

You have been with me from the very beginning
When I was a child, you walked with me
Even as I stumbled.
Even though I am no longer a child
You continue to light my path
Your goodness and your mercy
Follow me

Every day I am alive
Every day of my life
Even as my life ends
My life continues in you.
I will dwell in your home,
Forever.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home