Monday, April 27, 2009

Miracles

We were talking about miracles in Sunday school yesterday. The scripture for the lesson was from Acts -- Peter telling the man at the Beautiful Gate to get up and walk.

The questions asked had to do with the idea of how the stories of miracles increase our faith or how do they challenge our faith. Someone told a story of how she had been asked, "How can you believe? The miracles seem unbelievable."

We talked about day to day miracles -- how we see God in daily life.

A member of the class, who has been battling cancer, told a story. She has been at Cleveland Clinic. On her lowest day there -- when she had hoped to go home, but had found out that she had to stay, on the day when she has a slight conflict with the nursing staff, on the (same) day when her husband had to leave and come home -- on this very lowest day, she got an email. It was a prayer from another member of the class. She received it on this day when she needed it the most.

If I can believe (and I do) that the creator of the universe cares so much about her and the day of recovery that she is having to work through someone else to touch her, then I can believe in miracles. Water into wine - that's nothing.

If I can believe that God forgives my horrible sins and welcomes me into his presence, then I can believe in miracles. Healing a woman from bleeding? I can believe that.

I wonder if we take for granted the unbelievable idea that God dwells in our lives. We wonder about faith in miracles, and yet, when you think about it, the miracles of the bible may be "small potatoes" compared to the idea that the creator of the universe whispers in my ear.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home