Wednesday, January 14, 2009

In Trust

Today, I went the funeral of a gentleman that I've never met.

I debated whether I should go or not. It seemed a strange thing to do. He was known by the other people in our office, but not by me, and I wasn't sure how others would see my attendance at the funeral.

I thought of reasons why my going might be a benefit to the Foundation, but that didn't seem to hold much water. As I was thinking about it, I realized that I would go -- because I wanted to go. It seemed a simple reason, but I worried that it was too self-centered.

I read a lot of Trust Agreements, and I go through a lot of files. One of my favorite parts of those tasks is reading about the donors -- getting to know their stories. People are wonderful, and their reasons for giving to their churches are a joy to read. I have developed this feeling that the Foundation is more than a Trustee for funds. We are also a Trustee of legacy. We hold the memories of those who have given gifts or who have been honored or remembered through a gift. It is a blessing to learn the stories.

So, I decided to go to the funeral so that I could learn this gentleman's story. It was a funeral which gave glory to God, and I am so glad that I went. I learned about this gentleman, and I experienced a wonderful time of worship.

Near the end of the sermon, the pastor said, "When Bill's memory began to fail, God held those memories in Trust for him."

Amen.

Image: Sky on the way to work this morning.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home