Saturday, January 10, 2009

Remember?

The sermon title in our church tomorrow is "remember you baptism." While the United Methodist church doesn't practice "re-baptism," we are encouraged to remember our baptism -- what it means and God's action in our lives through that particular sacrament.

As I was thinking what to write tonight, looking through other people's blogs, I ran across that phrase. "Remember your baptism."

Do you remember you baptism? If you do, and you're reading this, and would like to share, leave a comment.

I was seven years old when I was baptized in a local Presbyterian church in town. I do remember it. I remember wearing a white dress and standing up in front of the sanctuary during the worship service. I remember the minister sprinkling water on my head. I don't think at that point that I had any realization what that sacrament symbolized.

In fact, we called it a Christening. For many years, even through high school, after I started going to a United Methodist church, I worried that I hadn't been baptized. Of course, I had been, but the terminology had thrown me.

I remember having our boys baptized. They both wore white pants and a white cardigan (the same white cardigan for both of them -- double breasted). They looked as cute as could be. Can you see the influence my baptism had on my son's? White. Must wear white for a baptism.

For them, though, I did know what it meant, and it was a joy to bring them into the family of God.

Remember your baptism, and remember what it meant. How does it feel to be a child of God?

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger bob said...

I don't remember my own Baptism I was baptised as an infant. All my brothers an sisters were baptised in the same white gown.

I do however remember my confirmation it made me feel a sense of responsibility for my own
Christianity.

6:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home