Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Logos - Psalm 29

I was reading the Disciplines devotional for the day, which is based on Psalm 29:1-6. I like this Psalm; in fact, it has inspired a poem.

The voice of the LORD is over the waters; the God of glory thunders, the LORD, over mighty waters. The voice of the LORD is powerful; the voice of the LORD is full of majesty. Verse 3-4
The Discipline author talked about finding the glory of God in His creation.

As I finished reading this morning, I looked out the window. It was a dreary winter day with the rain falling in a steady drizzle, the sky gray with no sun visible. I thought about how hard it is to find the glory of God in a day like that. I know -- I know -- we need the life giving rain, the clouds have a purpose -- but it doesn't look glorious like a sunrise or a fall tree or a flower.

I haven't been taking very many pictures lately. It's hard to find subjects for photographs during seasons like this one. I work in a building near other downtown buildings unlike when I worked at the VA and there was a meadow next to the parking lot. My routine is different. I'm just finding it harder to find visible evidence of God's glory in nature lately.

Or is all of that an excuse. Am I not keeping my eyes open? Am I missing it?

And yet, this morning, a woman called the office. Her good friend had died, and this woman wanted to open an Memorial Trust in her friend's name. In that, I could easily see the glory of God. Sometimes, even on a quiet, dreary day, the glory of God sings.

Image: The African violet in my office. As I sat there, thinking I wasn't finding anything to photograph, I noticed the flowers blooming less than 3 feet from my desk.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home