Thursday, January 29, 2009

Finding God

I read today in a Disciplines devotional that God is not hidden. God is all around us.

Do we walk around sometimes as if God were a shy God, hiding from us, challenging us to find him? Do we act as though he's hard to find?

But is that the way God really is?

Would a God who didn't want to be found and known go to the trouble -- go to the extreme action -- of sending his son to become a human like us and to reveal to us the Father's very nature? Seems like a rather paradoxical action for a God who wished to remain hidden.

So, if God is a God who wants to be known, then what's keeping us from finding him?

The devotional asked what actions we take each day to make God known -- to find him. Are there practices you have adopted which are designed to open your eyes to God?

What do I do? I wondered today if I could make a list. Some of these I have mentioned before -- maybe all of them:

  • This blog -- I write to explore my own thoughts about God and faith. Writing it makes me think about it.
  • My camera opens my eyes to the presence of God.
  • I try each day to read a devotional writing and a supporting scripture.
  • Christian conversation -- when I find myself wondering about God's direction for my life, I often ask friends -- am what I'm saying or doing make sense? Is God in this?
  • Hopefully, I worship God in a way which reveals him.
  • Prayer can certainly reveal God. I need to do more of it.
  • Quiet time spent in God's presence.

It's nothing really unusual or amazing, and I'm sure that I could do a better job -- a much better job -- at it, but this is where I start.

Image: Snow covered roadside as we left the airport on Wednesday.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home