Monday, January 26, 2009

A Call

I take notes during sermons. I started doing it years ago because I kept hearing thoughts and ideas that I wanted to be able to remember. I've kept doing it for that reason, but also because I have found that it is a way to increase my focus. Maybe it's a leftover from being in school, when I took notes in lectures, but now, if I've listening to a sermon (or any other kind of talk) my hand itches to take notes. I carry a blank book with me to church, but if I don't have it, then I'll write on an offering envelope, a napkin, a bulletin -- whatever I can find.

This Sunday, our associate pastor, Rev. Jeremiah Jasper, preached. I pulled out my notebook to write down my notes, and instead of notes, I found that instead of regular notes, I was writing a poem. The sermon was called "A conversation with Jesus" as was based on Mark 1:14-20.

If you trust me
I will order your steps
And I will bless you
More than you have ever been blessed.

Imagine
Doing more than
you can ever imagine
Imagine
How much I could bless others
More than they have ever been blessed
Through you.

How long will you run?
How long will you struggle?
How long will it take
until you will say yes?
How long will you fight me?
How long will it take
until you allow me to bless you
more than you have ever been blessed?

Listen. Remember.
Allow me to remind you
Of a grace
A grace greater than your excuses.
Greater than your forgetfulness.
Greater than your sin
A blessing that you cannot imagine
A grace greater than you know.

Will you let me use you
to bless others?
More than they have ever been blessed?
Will you let me fill you?
Will you be a vessel of peace?
Of love?
Of justice?
Of grace?
Will you follow me when I call?

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home