Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Community Spirit

I like to drive. I like the freedom of being able to jump in the car and go where I want to go.

I don't like snow. I don't like that it hampers my ability to go where I want to go or need to go. We live on a hill, and that downhill drive just further complicates travel in bad weather.

Last night, as it rained and froze, I could hear the world popping and cracking as everything around us was encased in frozen glass. Unlike some people in our town, we didn't lose our electricity. We even still have cable. For a while this evening, I was without Internet, but that kind of loses its impact when you have an iPhone.

Anyway, not only did we have to deal with ice this morning, but a tree fell during the early hours of the morning (sometime between 6:30am and 7:00am) blocking the only entrance/exit to our development. By the time we walked off the hill this morning, some industrious person had removed the center part of the tree, opening up the road.

In times like this, the neighborhood starts to work together. Steve and some other men from our housing development got together yesterday and cleared the hill using shovels and with the help of someone driving by who had a blade on his truck. This morning, when I was thinking we would have to wait for I wasn't sure who to come by and remove the tree someone who lives up here just went down and cut up the tree. After the state road plow came through this afternoon (wonder of wonders), Steve got busy and shoveled out the driveways of several people who live near us.

Times like this seem to pull people together. I forget that when the sun in shining.

Still doesn't mean I like snow. I do not.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Rachel C Miller said...

Winter, is kind of difficult to find the beauty in it. I didnt get my license till 3 years ago, so I can understand how much you enjoy the freedom.

9:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home