Thursday, December 25, 2008

And him, too?

We had a discussion in our Bible study class last week. As we read the nativity story in Matthew, we noticed the number of dreams which directed the actions of Joseph and the wise men. The question was asked, "Why go through all of the trouble and risk of these dreams to avoid Herod? Why allow him to murder the two year old son? Why did God just get rid of Herod?"

It would have been less trouble and less risk to the child to just eliminate Herod from the equation. Why not?

My first reaction -- and still my reaction to the question is that God doesn't work that way. God doesn't "eliminate people" to protect his plan. It's kind of a knee jerk reaction, based on my understanding of God.

Later, I was thinking about it, and I had another thought. God sent his son to save us.

God sent his son to save Herod, too.

Amazing, this grace.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home