Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Christ comes

It's Christmas Eve.
Actually, it's Christmas Day.
I just haven't been to bed yet.
It's 3:01 am.

Are all the packages wrapped?
Stockings stuffed?
Is the house ready?
Cards signed and sent?
Am I sure they are signed
before they were sent?
Breakfast ready to be fixed tomorrow?
Did I get everything done?

Christmas comes anyway,
ready or not.

Cookies baked?
Gifts given?
Out of town presents
sent out of town on time?
What about her?
Did I get a gift for her?
Piano teacher?
Neighbor?

Christ will come
Granting forgiveness and peace
even if we haven't prepared.

Oh, what about batteries?
Floors swept?
Bows taped in place?
Wreathes hung -- no.
Tree up -- finally.
Dinner dishes running in the dishwasher?
Breakfast dishes ready to use?
What about the dog?
Does she need a treat?
Stockings stuffed?
What if the hook falls out of the mantle?
Will I get ready in time?

Thank God that I'm not in charge
of the arrival of God in my life.
Thank God that it is a gift of grace.
Thank God that there is nothing I need to do
to earn the right.
Thank God that Christmas comes,
ready or not.
Packages wrapped or not.
Floor clean or not.
Cards mailed or not.
Christ comes.
Thank God.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger bob said...

Amen

7:45 AM  
Blogger Ivy said...

Thank you for sharing that.

3:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home