Saturday, November 01, 2008

Christ in a Crisis

I was taking notes in a meeting on Thursday. Our investment consultant was using the word "crisis" to describe the current economic situation. No surprise there, but as I was trying to write it down, I had a mental block. I couldn't remember how to spell it. For some reason, I kept trying to start the word with "chri..."

Any guess as to what word my pen was trying to write?

The etymology of the word crisis is: Middle English, from Latin, from Greek krisis, literally, decision, from krinein to decide.

It's interesting to me that the word crisis is centered around the word "to decide." A crisis is a time for a decision.

Perhaps seeing the word Christ in the word crisis is not a bad thing -- and is a good reminder to all of us. In a crisis we have a choice -- do we bring Christ into it, or do we forge ahead without him?

The word crisis and the word certain share the same word origin. Isn't that interesting? Certain is such a solid, unmoving word, while crisis seems to bring to mind a cliff -- a precipice. Perhaps if we were to chose Christ in a crisis, we would learn to stand on the certain ground of hope in God?

Here's another one -- prayer's word origin involves the word "precarious."

Doesn't that fit together nicely?

Image: Sunset on Fifth Avenue

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home