Sunday, May 25, 2008

On his hands

One of the lectionary readings for the week is Isaiah 49:8-16a.
But Zion said, "The LORD has forsaken me, my Lord has forgotten me." Can a woman forget her nursing child, or show no compassion for the child of her womb? Even these may forget, yet I will not forget you. See, I have inscribed you on the palms of my hands. (verses 14-16a)
Whenever I read this psalm, I am struck by the phrase that I placed in bold above.

The devotional for the day in Disciplines, that used this passage, said that God holds us so close that we are like his fingerprints, inscribed on the palms of his hands -- a part of him. That's a good image; I like it.

It's not the one that comes to mind when I read that sentence, though. "See, I have inscribed you on the palms of my hands." Think of Jesus' hands. What is inscribed on his palms? The marks of the nails. Inscribed on his hands is the tremendous love that he holds for each of us. He will not forget us; he will not forsake us. His love for us is inscribed on his hands.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home