Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Worship from Texas

I was reading blogs this evening and found a post on Methoblog that explained that the Opening Worship service of General Conference would be available to view via Live Streaming at 6pm CDT. At the time, it was 6:53pm EDT, so I headed over to the link to see what I could find. I ended up watching the entire 2 hour service. Here are a few of my observances:

  • It was truly a blended service, in all ways that I could think of -- the music, the people, the bishops, the language -- it felt diverse and blended.
  • During the prelude, one of the choirs was singing, and it was being directed by a man in a black robe, over which he wore an Emmaus cross. Cool!
  • The altar was constructed from wood taken from a church destroyed in Katrina.
  • The worship leader led a prayer to consecrate the facility. She said that the ordinary has been brought together, and made extraordinary by God. "Ordinary water becomes extraordinary when it comes into the presence of God.
  • Several people read scripture. It brought to mind to me the idea that when scripture is read by those who are interested in bringing it alive, God's word becomes real.
  • Right before the reading of the gospel, a cross and a bible were carried to a table in the middle of the room. The minister reading the passage stood at the table and read. It was God's word read among the people -- beautiful symbolism.
  • This same table became the communion table near the end of the service. As a woman sang, "I still have Joy," the bread and wine were brought to the table by deacons. They then stood around this round table, swaying and clapping to the music. What a great communion image! Joy! The congregation joined in the ritual through the singing of the words. It brought to mind for me the unity of communion, for what better illustrates unity that singing? Near the end, the elder lifted the bread, broke it, lifted the cup in blessing, but didn't speak a single word. As he neared the end of this, a soloist began signing "Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silence."
  • How about a few quotes?
    • Can we believe that God is bigger than we can conceive?"
    • We who are many people are one people -- the people of the United Methodist church.
    • Resurrection hope transforms lives and changes the future.
    • Hope for me is a pink mosquito net.
    • Waiting with eager longing and unfettered imagination for the future.
Who would ever be able to predict that sitting on my couch in my own house that I could watch the opening worship service of General Conference in Texas. The world continues to grow smaller, and I continue to be more and more pleased that I am one of the people of the United Methodist Church.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home