Monday, April 21, 2008

Open our ears

I have a friend who often prays for clear vision (even though I say he already has it). Clear vision is something that we all say that we would like to have, I think. What does God want me to do? When does it he want me to do it? What is God's will for our lives? What is he telling me right now? I think that we want to see our God.

I was reading one of the lectionary readings for last week -- the stoning of Stephen. Read this (Acts 7:55-57):

But filled with the Holy Spirit, he gazed into heaven and saw the glory of God and Jesus standing at the right hand of God. "Look," he said, "I see the heavens opened and the Son of Man standing at the right hand of God!" But they covered their ears, and with a loud shout all rushed together against him.
What struck me about this passage was not that Stephen had clear vision -- he certainly did, and he definitely saw his God -- but notice what happened. "But they covered their ears."

Do we do that? Do we cover our ears so as to not hear the Word of God? I think we do. I think we close our ears to God's word when it calls us to step out in courage, or when God is asking us to give up that which we do not want to give up. For those stoning Stephen, they had a particular religious viewpoint, and they were not going to let God interfere with their beliefs. So they covered their ears.

Heavenly Father, open the eyes of our hearts. Give us clear vision. Also, Lord, please move us to drop our hands, so that we can hear you, too. Amen.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home