Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Why Blog?

I was reading the blog Connexions today. Dave Faulkner is asking the question, "Is blogging for self-centered nerds?"

I blog (obviously). I do it daily. Do I do it because I am self-centered? I blog about my walk with God, my thoughts about God and life, and my work with my church. And sometimes I blog about items which do not fit into those categories, but I think most of my posts can be described in those ways.

If I am going to write daily about those topics, then I must, by necessity, pay attention. The discipline of blogging keeps my eyes open -- my thoughts focused -- my mind clicking.

I do consider it to be a discipline -- as much as my devotional reading. I do it because I am self-centered, and I want to become more God-centered. I hope that it is a path to change, not a means of enhancing my egotism.

Why do it publicly? Why not just journal? I could, and I have in the past. I never was able to do it daily. For some reason, for me, the blog prompts me to uphold the daily disciplinary nature of the journal habit. Maybe it's because I know that there are people who are reading it? I do know that I have reached a point in writing where I think must better on a keyboard than with a pen.

One of questions on the RevGalBlogPal site the other day was this: If you keep a blog, how does it connect to your preaching? Do you see your writing as two sides of the same coin? If you don’t have a pulpit, do you see your blog as a virtual pulpit?

Do I use the blog as a virtual pulpit? Oh, I hope not. That is never in my mind. Unless I count it as preaching at myself. That I do!

Am I nerd? That's kind of a silly question. It's not one that I ever worry about. Blogging these

days is as easy as email. It doesn't take a highly technical person to do. But what if I am. I don't care in the slightest.

I am however, proud of my son tonight (to change the topic). He auditioned for and was selected to play in the high school all county band as a freshman. Their concert was tonight. He's the one dressed in green. All that hair! Haircut, please!



Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home