Monday, February 25, 2008

What is he learning?

I went to watch my son practice with the all-county high school band tonight.

Imagine over 100 kids, all with instruments, in one place, trying to make music. I don't know how they do it. The concept itself is amazing to me. They played pieces of music with sounds imitating buffalo walking across the prairie, birds chirping, rain falling, thunder -- on top of all of that, they made music!

The guest conductor had never worked with this particular group of kids before. He stood in front of them, and explained the rules -- he would never embarrass them, he would not yell at them. He expected them to be on time, to bring a pencil, to listen when he talked, and most of all, to do their best. Even if they got every note wrong, if they did their best, he would be happy.

As they practiced, he would stop and give them suggestions. He didn't just direct them, but he would explain to them why he wanted them to do what he was asking them to do. He taught them as well as directed them.

At one point he stopped their progress through a piece of music, and told them why what they were doing was sounding better than it had before. "Are you surprised that I would stop to tell you something good? We could too easily fall into the habit of stopping to tell each other what we are doing wrong; I try very hard to not do that."

I couldn't count the number of times that he told them to be bold. "Be bold. Play it aggressively. I don't care if you make a mistake -- don't worry about that." He wanted them to play their instruments with confidence.

I think my son may be learning more than how to play a trumpet, and I'm glad.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home