Thursday, February 28, 2008

Casual Sundays?

I was reading a post today on a blog about the question of what pastor's should wear while preaching. It is an interesting question, but what really struck me was what someone said in a comment:
When preachers wear casual clothing as they lead worship and preach the Gospel, they, in my humble opinion, send the message that we can approach God in a casual, informal manner.

I can’t think of an instance in Scripture where a human being approaches God casually or informally...Approaching God casually and informally is a way of keeping God at arms length. It is also a way of trying to limit or control God. It’s a way of putting God into a box where we can be comfortable with him and his holiness. But this is not the God revealed in Scripture or in the person and work of Jesus Christ. When we think it is OK to casually come into the presence of God, then the god we are worshipping is not the God of Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Moses, Miriam, Deborah, Ruth, Isaiah, Jeremiah, Isaiah, Ezekiel, Daniel, Mary or Jesus.
What do you think about that statement? Do you agree with it?

I can certainly think of instances in the bible where God is approached more formally, perhaps specifically Moses at the burning bush.

But what about Jacob wrestling with the angel, Abraham bargaining with God over Sodom, David in the Psalms, Solomon praying for wisdom. I think all of those demonstrate a lack of formality.

What about Jesus in the garden? "Abba..." is certainly not formal at all.

God cares about our hearts. He desires for us to turn to him with a humble attitude which acknowledges that he is God, and we are not. I don't think that what we wear has anything to with that at all.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I doubt if Moses was all that formal while he was tending his sheep...and as I recall, he took his shoes off!

I don't get the person's comment at all.

10:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home