Sunday, January 20, 2008

Perseverance

Did I mention before that I was preparing to teach a lesson in our class about prayer? The scriptural basis was Luke 11:5-13. Take a look at this parable from the lesson:

And he said to them, ‘Suppose one of you has a friend, and you go to him at midnight and say to him, “Friend, lend me three loaves of bread; for a friend of mine has arrived, and I have nothing to set before him.” And he answers from within, “Do not bother me; the door has already been locked, and my children are with me in bed; I cannot get up and give you anything.” I tell you, even though he will not get up and give him anything because he is his friend, at least because of his persistence he will get up and give him whatever he needs.
As I was preparing for the lesson and reading the material, I gained an new perspective on this parable. I think I had always considered it to be about the host who is hoping to pick up some bread from his neighbor. The literature for the lesson today shined a new light on it.

Consider the friend, asleep in his house, surrounded by his family, tucked in. It is a huge inconvenience to him to get up and answer the door. His neighbor (the host) is about to face shame in the light of his guest for his (the host's) lack of hospitality. Despite the problems and the trouble he has to go to, the friend answers the need of the man at his door.

The parable is more about the nature of God than the nature of the one who is praying. God is good, all the time. He will always answer the door when we knock; he will always provide what we need.

I think to be perseverant in prayers doesn't mean to keep nagging God, hoping to get what we want. Being perseverant in prayer means to continually realize the goodness of the one in the house. It means to not give up on prayer; to not give up on God. Even in situations that we think are hopeless, we are never without hope; we always have God. So we should keep on praying -- keep turning to God to be in relationship with him.

If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will the heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!’

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home