Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Technology


A member of our Sunday school class last Sunday made a comment about photography class in High school. She had not been a "believer" in non-academic classes, but after her daughter took photography, she realized its value. Photography taught her daughter to keep her eyes open. To see the world in a different way -- a way that she wouldn't have explored without the camera.

At annual conference, there was a prelude of live music - wonderful music - accompanying a slide show of nature shots overlaid with a paraphrase of Psalm 23. As I watched and listened, I drew closer to God. It was worship. It was wonderful (I'm going to have to try it myself). I didn't notice the technology at all -- I experienced the creativity of the photographer, the musicians, and the poet.

JtM sent me a quote yesterday from the book Unstoppable Force. Take a look:

“…we tend to accept technologies that bring us comfort and convenience, while rejecting the technologies that can produce creativity and innovation…Being authentic doesn’t inherently eliminate accessing technology. In fact, the best use of technology takes the focus off the technology. It accentuates humanity in the same way that spotlights should—not getting people to look at the light but helping people to see the speaker clearly.”
Our minister told us last night that in a couple of weeks, the screens and projector will be installed in our sanctuary. Technology. I hope we use it with care. I hope we use it as a spotlight, highlighting God's input in what we do for him.

Images: More from the annual conference.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home