Sunday, June 24, 2007

Stepping out in faith

There is a scene in one of the Star Wars movies -- I think it must be the original 1977 one -- where Luke (I think) says, "Teach me, Obiwan." Am I making that up, or is that real?

I think we do that. I think that sometimes we look to God for help or guidance before we take any steps to our goal at all.

"Help me, God. Help me, right now, so that I will have confidence that this is going to work."

Do you do that? I do that all the time.

I was speaking to a member of our church, who was telling me that she would right a devotional for our Devotional Ministry. She said she hadn't volunteered yet, because "God hadn't inspired her."

I told her to commit to do one, and then God would inspire her. I knew what she was talking about, because, as I said, I do that all the time.

It is as if I want to have faith in the project, or in the goal, or in my skills more than I want to have faith in God. If I would trust God, then I believe the rest would fall into line.

We went with some friends last night to see the movie Evan Almighty. Go see it. It's great.

At one point, God (Morgan Freeman) is speaking to Evan's wife. He told her (something like), "When you ask for patience, God will give you opportunities to be patient. When you pray for courage, does he give you courage or chances to be courageous. When you ask for your family to be closer, does he give you warm, fuzzy feelings, or opportunities to be closer as a family."

Faith in God, instead of in the process is what we need, I think. That's mustard seed faith -- the trust, the faith in God, to step out when everything is uncertain, believing that we do not step out alone

Since I started with Star Wars, I'll finish with it. As Leia said, "Help me, Obiwan Kenobi. You're my only hope."

God is our only hope.

Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. Hebrews 11:1

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Along the Narrow Path said...

Well said. I know that when I write something for poetry, I write words until the inspiration comes to me and I know that God is providing the inspiration.

1:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home