Friday, June 22, 2007

Messages

I mentioned yesterday that I had a feeling all day long that God was telling me to stop. Listen. Look. Pay attention, because he was standing near. Later in the day, I received an email from a friend (which she sent to our entire Sunday school class entitled "Rest." The quote in that email was:

"Rest is not idleness, and to lie sometimes on the grass on a summer day listening to the murmur of water, or watching the clouds float across the sky, is hardly a waste of time.
John Lubbock
I was sitting in a waiting room this morning. Another friend and I were talking about this topic via email (love that Blackjack phone -- mobile email is cool!). He said, "And just in time for your vacation."

True. At that moment I realized that I had been skipping my devotional time each morning since Annual Conference. I wrote back to him that I wondered if God were telling me to stop -- read -- pray -- take time to do this. Just as I sent that email, a gentleman came up to me and picked up the Gideon Bible that was on the table right beside me. He said, "Are you reading this, dear?"

No, I haven't been. And I need to be.

I was reading an article in Group magazine today. It talked about looking for God each day. He said that there are "parable moments" -- moments when God is trying to tell you something via an incident in your life.

Like this man with the Bible. Like the email from my friend and the quote from another friend. Sometimes I think that an incident is just a happening, and it means nothing, but sometimes, if I pay attention, they are God moments, filled with messages from God to me.

Image: Flowers from Annual Conference

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home