Saturday, March 31, 2007

The Rejected Stone

The stone that the builders rejected has become the chief cornerstone.
This is the Lord’s doing; it is marvellous in our eyes.
Psalm 118:22-23
Psalm 118 is one of the lectionary readings for the week. This week's Disciplines author, Pamela Hawkins used it today as the basis of her devotional. She talked about how she used to reject broken sea shells on the ocean shore because they were imperfect. At one point, though, she began to see the beauty in the broken. She says, "What had appear unappealing and imperfect to me, have been, in the eyes of God, treasures not to be rejected." Of course, she is talking about more than seashells.
I hadn't seen this particular scripture in this light before. I had always heard it as referring to Jesus, when I now see that its application can be expanded.
What in life do we reject because it is imperfect? Because it is flawed? Because it isn't "important" in our eyes?
  • Children -- Sometimes we fail to listen, we fail to take the time to engage with them because we see them as distractions in the busy life we lead. In truth, they have a faith from which we can learn true worship.
  • The poor -- Our Common Grounds service is attended by homeless, poor, addicted, marginalized people. I'm part of the Prayer Vigil team at our church. One of the things we do is to collect prayer concerns from members of the congregation. The people who attend this service submit requests each week. Reading their requests, I am struck by their huge needs but also by the many blessings that they list as reasons to celebrate.
  • Opportunities -- Do we ever reject opportunities to serve God because we can't see the purpose in them? Do we ever choose to say "no" because it's a job that we think is "beneath" us? Do we ever say "no" because we think something is beyond our capabilities? I've been asked to participate in a ministry at church, and I'm debating what my answer will be. My biggest barrier to saying yes is that I'm just not sure that I would be any good at it. Am I short changing God? Or am I being realistic?
  • Ourselves -- Do we ever reject ourselves or fail to have confidence in what we are able to do forgetting how God will equip us for his purposes? I have a friend who does not often speak in front of "grown-ups." She is a teacher, both in the world and in the church, and is especially gifted for dealing with children. She told me once, "I just don't speak in front of anyone over 10 years of age." One Sunday, though, she did. She did it for me -- her willingness to serve was placed ahead of her self-doubt, and she did a marvelous job. Sometimes we get those priorities out of order.

What is the stone that we are rejecting that God will use for his purposes?

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kim, Definitely something to ponder I believe the last two gotogether rejecting ouselves and opportunities to serve God. That's why there is such a need for encouraging and nurturing each other.So that we won't reject ourselves and God when he calls.Afterall I can do all things through God who strengthens me. Php4:12

10:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home