Monday, March 12, 2007

Give it up. Or not.

Yesterday's post was about Lent, and how I haven't made a deliberate commitment to a spiritual discipline during these several weeks. Bob left the following comment on the blog:

I don't think you can grow on a schedule, it just happens. That's not to say you can't put your self in the right places for growth. I find that growth happens best when we least expect it. I lead a Bible study at church and teach a Sunday school class, sometimes it feels stagnant, just one big routine. Someone new will show up and give fresh perspective and all of a sudden I'm experiencing God anew again from a different angle...

My question for today is to examine the role of a intentional commitment to a spiritual discipline -- a deliberate routine -- as compared to the spontaneous intrusion of grace. Are the two in opposition to each other?

Like Bob, I am a Sunday school teacher, and I have certainly experience what he describes. There are times, when I am teaching, that I see God from an entirely different angle. My "new view" may be triggered by comments made my members of the class I am teaching. I may see something new as I prepare for the lesson. Some of the most amazing revelations of grace occur as I am teaching. There have been times when I have a thought that I have never touched on before, but which arrives, like a gift, as I am speaking.

I do believe that God arrives in our lives with no warning, when he is least expected. Looking at it with a different perspective, though, read this Philip Yancey quote from Prayer:

A rabbi taught that experiences of God can never be planned or achieved. "They are spontaneous moments of grace, almost accidental." His student asked, "Rabbi, if God-realization is just accidental, why do we work so hard doing all these spiritual practices?" The rabbi replied, "To be as accident-prone as possible.

And then this one, from the same book:

Aha moments catch me be surprise. A sense of gratitude, a ping of compassion. But they catch me, I have learned, only when I am looking for them.

I think we can find God more often when we are closer to him. I think we will be soaked in his grace more often when we are standing close to the source. I can understand what Yancey means when he says we need to be spiritual disciplines to become accident prone.

I write this blog. I do it everyday, even though there are times when I would rather not. Some days there is no immediately apparent topic for a post. Some days I have to dig to find the topic. It's a discipline. It is a way that I try to be accident prone.

I think it may be that "routine" work -- something picked up because of Lent -- that I have missed. It doesn't help that I keep getting asked, "So what did you give up for Lent?"

"I've given up answering questions like that!"

Image: Crocuses in our yard. SPRING!

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kim, I commented this morning but I must have cleared instead of posting.

The first Ash Wednesday after our current pastor arrived he spoke about giving things up. He made the point that if giving things up didn't lead us to God it served no purpose. Instead he advocated taking something on, Additional prayer time Bible reading or a study or even spontaneous prayer. Spontaneous prayer being a prayer we send up to God when we are challenged in what we have chosen to fast from, or just when the world challenges us in general.

7:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Deny yourself AND take up a cross.

I like the idea of giving something up AND taking something on.

10:26 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

Last year I picked something up. I was concerned about what my role was to be in our church following 2006, and I committed to pray about it for the time of Lent. I'm not sure I did a very good job fulfilling that commitment -- if THINKING about it counted, then I did better than I would give myself credit for. Looking back, though, God had a very different plan for me this year than I would ever have imagined. At least, I hope I'm following in 2007 what his plans for me were.

The year before that I gave up elevators and "picked up" stairs. I work in a 3 story building and worship in a 4 story building, so that commitment resulted in a continual, daily reminder of God.

So, this year, Lent's not over yet, so I'll see what comes...or goes...

8:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home