Sunday, March 11, 2007

Lost my Lent?

I was walking through the hallway at church a few weeks back -- it was the first Sunday of Lent. Our associate pastor was walking by. She was collecting a needed ingredient for her Children's Moment that day -- lint. Dryer lint.

To be precise, she was not collecting it from me, but from the dryer at the church.

I was trying to joke with her that she had lost her lint, but instead I told her that she had lost her lent.

Sometimes I think this season that I have lost my lent.

I'm involved in a couple of different lenten projects at our church -- our lenten devotional and prayer vigil. I am finding them to be wonderful blessings -- in the preparation and in the implementation of them. I was privledged to go to the community Ash Wednesday service and our own Ash Wednesday service at church. I've mentioned before that I'm team-teaching a Wednesday night class as well, which has stretched through Lent. It's not that I've been uninvolved at church during lent.

The problem seems to be that I never took the time to make any kind of Lenten commitment. I haven't given any thing up or taken anything up. I haven't stopped doing what I usually do, but I'm not sure that I've paid proper attention to Lent.

Have I lost my Lent?

When I get to Easter, will I have grown spiritually in any way? Have I made any deliberate efforts to examine my life and repent of my mistakes?

At this point, I would have to say the answer is no.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kim, I don't think you can grow on a schedule, it just happens. That's not to say you can't put your self in the right places for growth. I find that growth happens best when we least expect it. I lead a Bible study at church and teach a Sunday school class, sometimes it feels stagnant,just one big routine. Someone new will show up and give fresh perspective and all of a sudden I'm experiencing God anew again from a different angle. Well a couple of weeks ago I came across this website Sandpiper's thoughts and you have opened my eyes to different aspects of faith. So don't give up on lent yet you maybe finding growth in the next encounter with someone around you.

4:37 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

First, thank you, Bob, for the blessing of your comment.

I had a return comment almost finished, but I looked at it, and decided that it needed to be a post all of its own, so I'll be returning to this topic in the next day or two.

Thanks so much for starting my mind down this path! And thanks for reading the blog.

I think blog writing, at least for me, is a spiritual discipline. Knowing that people (a few) are reading what I write, helps me to maintain that discipline. So, thank you!

8:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home