Thursday, January 04, 2007

Aware

I work my way through CD’s. I listen to one song for a while, move on to another, move on to another…. So, lately, here on the blog, Mercy Me has been, and probably will be a focus, because that’s where my mind is. Oddly enough, I’m working my way through two different CDs at once – "Almost There" and "Undone." I can do that through the magic of an iPod – no CD switching.

Anyway, this morning, I’m listening to Unaware.

Forgive me if I stare
But I am taken back
That you would let me here
Regardless of my past

My hands are shaking now
But I catch my breath somehow
I am free at last.

Unaware of my fears
Unaware of my shame
Nothing else matters to you
But glorifying your name.

I’ve written a couple of posts about what heaven might be like (here and here). Could it be that this is another glimpse? To stand in the presence of God, wondering at the grace of being allowed to set foot in His kingdom? Standing in the presence of God, and finding that one is free – free of the feelings of guilt, of fear, of shame. Transformed by God, by his own choice.

Heaven must be standing in the presence of God, feeling the full force of his love, undiluted by distance or by sin. It must feel a little bit like standing in front of a furnace, with the door open, and the fire burning inside so strongly that the color of it is white.

Consider this. If heaven is then, if the kingdom of God is then, it is also now. We can’t feel that full force of God, undiluted, but we can be in God’s presence. Have you ever found yourself in the presence of God, and wondered how it happened?

Tell me how I got here
I couldn’t make it on my own
Just tell me I can stay
Cause it feels so much like home

And I lose all track of time
When I look into your eyes
Your love is all I know.

"Your love is all I know." The key is love. The key is always love, I think. A minister I know once asked a class I was in, "Why are we here? What is our purpose?" Her simple and truthful answer was, "To love." To love God and to love each other.

When we do, we find ourselves closer to God. Standing in his presence. We are so aware of him, that we forget to focus on our fears, our shames, and they are lifted away.

I’m aware I’m in a place I couldn’t be
If you weren’t there to call my name and rescue me.

Unaware that I still breathe
Unaware of everything
Knowing you’re aware of me
.

That’s grace. That’s what God does. He lifts away what keeps us apart from him, makes us aware that he is aware of us, and gives us freedom.

Heaven. Here on earth, and it’s because we love him and because we love each other.

It’s because we are a Body of Christ. It’s grace, and it’s in big things and small things – around us all the time, reminding us that He is aware of us.

Image: Sky at the VA this morning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home