Sunday, December 31, 2006

Praise

Our Sunday school moderator read a sentence as part of the devotion today that really caught my attention -- Thanksgiving is the discipline that enables us to see the love of God.

The lectionary reading that I read this morning was Psalm 148. Verse 1:

Praise the LORD. Praise the LORD from the heavens, praise him in the heights above.

I've mentioned before that part of what I do each morning is to take some time for prayer. I never really know where that prayer will lead -- there are certain concerns I take to God habitually during this time, but there are also sometimes items which rise from the quiet, that I don't expect.

After reading this Psalm this morning, praise seemed to be a natural occurrence, especially on this last day of the year. My thanksgiving turned to the many times this year that I have seen or experienced God. I've listed most of them before, so I won't do it here, but that's where my prayers turned this morning.

My heart was filled, and I can attest to the truth of Shelly's statement -- thanksgiving is the discipline that enables us to see the love of God.

I pray that I might be as blessed next year.

A quote from Ortberg's book:

Between what happens to us and how we respond lies our beliefs or interpretations of the events. Joy flows from a way of thinking.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home