Sunday, August 20, 2006

The Invitation

I mentioned a couple of days ago that I had questions regarding Communion. I actually only have one question. What do we mean when we say, as Methodists, that we practice “open communion?”

I understand the easy part of that question. I know that we do not require membership in the United Methodist church in order to participate in communion, but are there other requirements?

On of the more common invitations to Communion in the Service of Word and Table is “Christ our Lord invites to his table all who love him, who earnestly repent of their sin and seek to live in peace with one another.” (UM Hymnal).

Let’s pair that with a scripture from 1 Corinthians 11:27-32.

Therefore, whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of sinning against the body and blood of the Lord. 1 Corinthians 11:27)
I think as we look at this question, we need to keep two items in mind:
  • It is Christ’s table – he extends the invitation, we do not. The invitation is extended on HIS behalf.
  • Wesley described communion as one of the means of grace.
I wonder sometimes if the statement that those who “earnestly repent of their sins and seek to live in peace with one another” narrows the door to our Open Door Communion. Does the statement make us feel unworthy? Does it keep those who need the grace that communion offers from approaching the table? Where would God want those who feel unworthy to be? Sitting in the pew? Or kneeling at the altar rail? What happens to the person who has no ability, on his own, to live in peace with his neighbor? What happens to the person who needs grace to even be able to speak to his neighbor?

Don’t you think we need to bring everything to communion? Our sins, our burdens, everything? Do you earnestly repent of ALL of your sins? Are you ever worthy of communion? I don’t think I am, and yet I go anyway. From what I know of God, it’s where He wants me to be. Bringing all of our sins – our failings, our inability to be repentant, our hatred and our baggage to the table doesn’t mean that we are approach communion in an unworthy manner. It means we are desperate to accept the grace offered – to accept the invitation. If communion is a means to grace, then why would we ever want to stop someone from approaching? It’s Christ’s invitation, not ours to extend.

If the statement in the invitation sometimes makes me feel uncomfortable -- unworthy -- even though I approach the table anyway, doesn't it stand to reason that there are those who will not accept the invitation because of their sin? Why is it that the sin of an unrepentant heart can be enough to block us from approaching grace? Isn't that when we need grace the most?

I like this that I found on the General Board of Disciple site. It’s a quote from Wesley’s sermon called The Duty of Constant Communion:

God offers you one of the greatest mercies on this side of heaven, and commands you to accept it…You are unworthy to receive any mercy from God. But is that a reason for refusing all mercy? … Why do you not obey God’s command? … What! Unworthy to obey God?”
I wonder if Paul, when he says that we are not to approach communion in an unworthy manner, was not speaking to those who feel sinful or unrepentant. I wonder if perhaps he was speaking to those of us who would judge others as unworthy. If we truly believe in the transforming power of grace, and if we truly believe that communion is a means to grace, then we have to believe that God invites the “unworthy.” He invites you, and thank God, He invites me.

Image: Another one from HermanoLeon Clipart.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home