Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Christian Conversation

The devotion I read this morning was written by a man named Larry Gent, who is the Associate Director of Communications for the Virginia Annual Conference. I really liked what he had to say today.

The scripture he began with was 1 Kings 2:1-3:2. He spoke about the wisdom of Solomon. Solomon, while he did bring a golden age to Israel, also ushered in the country's downfall. If Solomon is his wisdom could do such a poor job with decision making, what hope do we have?

Gent went on to point out that Wesley believed that Christian communication was a means to God's grace. It sounds simple, doesn't it? Christians, sharing conversation about their problems, challenges and worries, could be a means to grace? Gent, who is the former chair of the Native American Ministries Committee, said that Native American elders believe that God speaks in the silence between the drumbeats. God speaks in the silence of our Christian conversations, if we will listen for Him.

That started me wondering what opportunities God has blessed me with for Christian conversation:
  • My Sunday school class is my oldest means of conversation (not the people in it -- the length of time I have been a part of it). One of the blessings of the class is that we share ideas about the lessons. We are also a support group for each other -- the load is lightened by sharing it.
  • Teaching, for me is a means of conversation. I learn so much from listening to the comments that happen when I teach. I often push a question -- waiting until someone -- anyone -- will make some kind of comment. This gives the class that opportunity for conversation that I just mentioned, but it also opens up new thought paths for me.
  • I am part of a relatively new Emmaus reunion group in our church. This was the first group that came to mind when I read the devotion. It's taken us a few months, but we really seem to be developing the trust and fellowship to be a place for authentic Christian communication. It's great to be a part of a group of women that shares life struggles. We are all kind of in the same "boat" so to speak -- aiming to lead a Christian life, and we can at least support each other as we share our problems and joys. I am blessed.
  • Although it can be one-sided, sometimes my blog serves this purpose. It has certainly been a motivation for me to keep my eyes and ears open for God's actions around me.
  • As odd as it sounds (although maybe not, in this high-tech world) sometimes email can serve this same purpose.
I mentioned a while back that one of the ways in which the Emmaus walk changed my habits was that I feel more comfortable talking about God. It doesn't seem as forced or as unnatural as it used to feel. This has certainly impacted many areas of my journey, and I'm grateful for it.

God speaks in the silences between the drumbeats, if we will just listen for him. Christian conversation as a means to God's grace -- I can certainly attest to that.

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home