Monday, July 17, 2006

What's in a small group?

What is the purpose of a small group in a church? Wesley liked them; insisted on them. The church development process we are involved with in our local church ranks small groups as one of the necessary components of healthy growth. Why is that? What’s so special about a small group?

I’m part of one (more than one, really). My Sunday school class is my “small group.” I’ve noticed that I especially appreciate them in the summer. Summer is a time when everybody is usually gone for at least one or two Sundays – people who would normally be in church are missing – me included. It’s also a time when I in particular spend some time in other classes as a substitute teacher. From the beginning of June until the end of August, I’ll only get to my own class six times. Some of the times I will or have missed are by choice – I’m just not in church – or by service – I’m somewhere doing something else. I don’t begrudge any of them, but each summer it calls into sharp focus that I need my own class, nd I miss them when I’m not there.

Why? It isn’t just that I like the people in the group (although I do). It isn’t just that we have fun (although we do). It’s not only fellowship I find there. My small group is my attachment to the body of the church. It’s the place where I know I’m not invisible (that sounds goofy, but it isn’t meant to be – I just can’t think of a better way to express it).

From the end of high school through college and my “young adult” years, I was part of a few different classes, but never really put down roots. I was wandering. Floating. I finally, by default, ended up in my present class (which is, ironically enough, called Koinonia). It took a couple of years, but I finally stuck somewhere.

I’m explaining all of this because as we look at ways to bring people into church, I think we need to remember that they won’t stay with us – they won’t grow – unless they get rooted somewhere. It by all means does not have to be Sunday school. There are lots of “rooting” spots in a church. It doesn’t have to be only one place – S and I both have more than one small group – it’s just that Koinonia is the one I’ve been in the longest. This job we have -- making disciples for Christ -- isn't done when they walk in the door; it's only just beginning.

Just like they used to say on the TV show Cheers – we all need a place where “Everybody knows our name.” Koinonia knows my name.

Oh, and a note -- It was pointed out to me that in the post about the two signs, I talked about the sign on the left, but I called it the sign on the right. I'm aware of this goof (now, since it was pointed out to me), but I'm not going to change it. Let it stand as evidence of who I am -- someone who just doens't "get" right and left. Up and down, north and south, here and there -- all concept I grasp. Right and left leaves me clueless. I have assigned my right/left correctness to my husband, who tries to keep me straight. I should have had him read the post before it went up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home