Friday, July 14, 2006

A Fall

On the way into work yesterday after lunch, I slipped and fell on a slick rug outside our door. Who puts a rug outside a hospital door in the rain? It’s always there, but yesterday afternoon it was as – if you’ll pardon the nasty expression – slick as snot. My foot slipped out from under me and I landed right on the side of my knee. The knee is a wonderful piece of machinery. It’s elegant in its construction, but it is not really designed to absorb the impact of a fall. That’s what backsides are for (which is what I landed on next). There was no real damage done (except to my slacks – very dirty rug). I have a small knot on the side of my elegantly constructed knee which only hurts when I push on it (yes, I know, don’t push on it).

Don’t get too impatient. I’m telling you that story for a reason, which will soon be revealed.

This morning I listened to a sermon on the way into work by a minister who attends our church. When our two ministers are attending the WV Annual Conference, David often preaches. He’s from Georgia, and isn’t a member of the conference here. I missed his sermon this year because we were on vacation. Listening to it on CD has been on my “list” of things to do, so I did that this morning.

He started off with a litany of the people and things we hate. The list was long – liberals, conservatives, fundamentalists, homosexuals, immigrants, Yankees, that high school over there, youth worship, praise worship – I really don’t think anyone was excluded from this “I hate … “ list. It was, of course, an illustration of how ridiculous we are, and how stereotypical our viewpoints can be. It was a sermon about how we pay “lip service” to being a Christian, while ignoring what it is to really BE a Christian (my words, not David’s, and I’m sure I’m murdering his sermon by summing it up).

I was feeling pretty good. I mean, it was a warning to be careful not to hate – not to judge people or to say we are Christians while ignoring the command to love our neighbor as ourselves. Really, though, I already try to be careful about that. I caught myself hoping that so-and-so in the congregation was listening, because he/she really needed to hear what David was saying.

I would have been happy if he had stopped there, but he didn’t.

What does the Lord require of us – “to act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.” (Micah 6:8). David then went on to list all the things he does in the church – and the list was long. Really long. His point was that all of that – all that he does in the church – is not what is required of us.

Do I act justly? Do I love mercy? Do I walk humbly with my God?

Walk humbly? It came to me this morning that my walk is anything but humble. I think God used David this morning to tell me that my problem isn’t hate, it’s pride.

My husband just called and asked if I fell again this morning. I almost answered yes. I did fall this morning. I slipped on the word of God and landed on one of my most elegantly designed sins – my pride. And it hurt. It hurt the most, I think, because as I feel that I am getting closer to God, He took an opportunity to tell me what I was doing wrong.

If David hadn’t mentioned those Lenten Prayer crosses, it might not have gotten so personal.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't be too hard on yourself. You do do a lot, but at least from my perspective, it appears that you "do" because of who you "are." You do and do and do, but you never say, "look what I have done", but "look what God did."

I'm not the judge, for sure, but I wouldn't call you prideful. Maybe just clumsy!

12:27 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Wow, I would never see you as prideful. In my (not so humble) opinion, you have the heart of a loyal servant to our Lord and Savior.

It seems that you enjoy serving God and being involved in church activities not because of pride, but instead because of the joy that God provides when we are in service to Him.

I have never known you to seek out recognition for your efforts - even when it is richly deserved (often).

Now if we could just do something about that pompous Lay Leader. :)

PS I hope your knee feels better.

1:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pompous? Ouch!

Out of all my wonderful characteristics, which are too numerous to enumerate, my amazing humility is near the top of the list.

That's right...amazing.

9:09 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

The problem with blogging is that you can't see me smiling or hear me laughing. A lot of both going on here.

10:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home