Wednesday, June 05, 2024

Responding or Reacting

It’s easy to seize on the first idea that comes to us or set off half-cocked in pursuit of a problem or opportunity. But Nehemiah took great time and care to make sure he fully understood the situation and what God expected of him. What might you do to make sure you approach problems in a similarly deliberate manner?

Many years ago, a person told me to “respond and not react” to issues. It took several years for that advice to even make sense to me; I’m glad time and experience has filled in the meaning. Other than prayer, I think responding (and not reacting) to an issue starts with gathering the data about the situation and not just reacting to rumors. For me it is helpful to talk about the issue with a trusted person – sometimes voicing the issue and sharing potential solutions can be helpful – feedback can be Christian conferencing. It’s helpful to ask yourself if there is someone else who is more prepared to respond to the problem. That sounds like passing the buck, but there are times when collaborating with someone else or turning the issue over to them is the most effective answer. If you move forward with a response, then plan goals and strategies – lists are great for outlining the path to take.


The above question and answer are from my current Nehemiah Leadership class.  Have you ever reacted instead of responded?  I have. I almost always want to take back my reaction. 

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home